I created this blog because I could not find the kind of tutorials I needed for some models and miniatures I wanted to build. I hope it will be a useful source of information for anyone who may experience the same lack of first-hand, step-by-step reports.
I am not an expert by any means, so feel free to comment my posts or to contact me to share your advice.

Saturday 27 March 2010

New Lotus to hit the workbench











Here we are again! It looks like springs awakens in me the will to work on models. It could be seen as an ideal winter hobby, but I always come back to them around Easter. This time I wanted to go back to my late teens and build again my first two Tamiya kits: the Lotus 102D and Lotus 107. It was 1992 and I was cheering for the F1 team, getting the 102D at my hobby shop and waiting anxiously the end of season for the release of the 107. The year after came the Lotus 107B, and I will use it as a test, a bit like the 25 before tackling the 49. It is quite convenient since this kit is still available. I managed to get a hold on 107 and 102D kits thanks to e-bay.
I still have my models at my parents' home. I even have pictures of them. Get me some tissue for me to dry a bit because those were old times when paint had to be applied with a brush, and only a brush and when I used vinegar in place of Microsol because noone told me about it. I should say I am glad to have made some progress since then, but it was a world to discover and I had my dose of challenges, stress and disappointment. I guess I should not write that, but the kits were built without paint on the yellow areas (hey, the plastic is yellow, what is the problem?) and all the decals were used. There are pin holes where trapped air was inevitably found, and do not even think of opening the engine cowls or everything breaks apart...
My goal is obviously to build them again but by using what I learnt on the 49: spray paint and masks. With the 107B, masks will be somewhat complex and challenging, especially around the cockpit. I also expect to try my hand at pinstripes.










No comments: