I created this blog because I could not find the kind of tutorials I needed for some models and miniatures I wanted to build. I hope it will be a useful source of information for anyone who may experience the same lack of first-hand, step-by-step reports.
I am not an expert by any means, so feel free to comment my posts or to contact me to share your advice.

Wednesday 8 April 2009

References for HMS Victory

There is a model of the HMS Victory sitting in the attic and waiting for me to start building it. It is the Heller 1/100 plastic kit. Given the size of the model and the detail level, it is worth looking for some good reliable starting point. Obviously the two main challenges will be painting and of course rigging the ship.


McKay's book is a nice one to have close to the work in progress. It offers lots of drawings of the outside and of the inside of the ship, allowing someone with too much time at hand to add many details to his model. There are also sketches for running and standing rigging. This book must be the result of a hard and passionate work and is available here.
















Longridge's masterful opus is what some would dare to call the bible for tall ship modellers. It has every bit of information for anyone tackling the task of building a model ship from scratch. It is that thorough... From the construction of the keel to the diameter of any rope on board, Longridge gives it all. It is consequently a very technical read, but written in the style of someone who went himself through every step of the building. It is available here.













The internet is still the best source of information for the choice of colours and for pictures of any detail outside or on board the ship. The official site is of course the first stage of a larger search and even offers pages dedicated to model makers. Finally, my favourite one is Pete Coleman's forum and is the best place to share advice and ask questions about the Heller kit.

No comments: