I created this blog because I could not find the kind of tutorials I needed for some models and miniatures I wanted to build. I hope it will be a useful source of information for anyone who may experience the same lack of first-hand, step-by-step reports.
I am not an expert by any means, so feel free to comment my posts or to contact me to share your advice.

Wednesday 8 April 2009

Time to paint the body: first colour

I spent so much time far from this model that is looks like a new challenge to me. However, since I got some good results on the body of the Lotus 25 and since I need to have a finished body to go on with the Lotus 49 kit, I must take a deep breath and make the jump. At the last minute I decided to follow the Modeler Site Lotus 49 guide by Tony Allen. He starts with a white coat of paint, then add masks for the number areas and goes on with a yellow coat. After masking the yellow stripes he finally applies the green coat and unmask the body before spraying a clear coat. I must confess I am quite skeptical about adding so many layers of paint and I hope I will not lose the details on the body. On the other hand, it makes sense to start with the lighter colours and finish with the darker ones, as I can see with the Lotus 25.















Those are the nose cone and cockpit with their final primer coat. There is no dust or hair at all in it and that should prove a perfect base for the white paint.










Those are the same parts after the white wet coats. I encountered quite a few undesirable things trapped in the paint after each coat but carefully sanded them off with a fine grit (3000 or 4000). The second wet coat was applied only on the surface which will need them: the top of the nose cone and the sides of the cockpit. The edges of this second wet coat will be finely sanded so as not to be visible on the end product. After each wet coat, paint tends to run at the bottom of the part. Those runs are lightly sanded if I think they will be visible, meaning that the underside of the body is not as cared for as the top and sides.

No comments: