I created this blog because I could not find the kind of tutorials I needed for some models and miniatures I wanted to build. I hope it will be a useful source of information for anyone who may experience the same lack of first-hand, step-by-step reports.
I am not an expert by any means, so feel free to comment my posts or to contact me to share your advice.

Monday 5 April 2010

Front wing

Good intentions do not always pay off. I tried twice to build the 107B with the decals and twice I made a mess. I hate large decals, simple as that. Here are the front wing elements with their decals on and even those I cannot get right... I removed all of that in warm water with a shot of vinegar (I placed them a few years ago) without any problem. Of course, the second picture is the new end product with new paint and new decals. Needless to say that I am quite happy with that.

Primer takes place before nice coats of hard paint. The lower front wing is painted Camel Yellow (TS-34) first. The end is then masked and the rest painted Racing Green, as well as the outside of the end plates and the flaps.


When I removed the masks on the lower lip, I found out that paint eventually found its way under the tape (not a real surprise, I am anxiously waiting for what it will look like on the cockpit) and I had some touch up to do. A smooth sanding of the extra green paint resulted in making the primer visible on the edge of the area where the nose will be attached. Fortunately I had some Golden Yellow from Citadel, which is quite close to Camel Yellow, but flat. Hopefully it will not show after a few coats of clear.

I used decals to finish the wing: the Good Year ones were not a problem at all. Then I cut out the blue stripes from the main decals of the flaps and finaly the Burmha logo. It is fascinating to see that the Camel Yellow and Racing Green match the colours of the original decals, with more shine as a bonus. So far clear coats have not messed the decals like with the Lotus 49, and I am glad because that would have meant that another kit would have to be bought to start again (for what? fourth time?).

No comments: