I created this blog because I could not find the kind of tutorials I needed for some models and miniatures I wanted to build. I hope it will be a useful source of information for anyone who may experience the same lack of first-hand, step-by-step reports.
I am not an expert by any means, so feel free to comment my posts or to contact me to share your advice.

Saturday 3 April 2010

Masking the body (green areas)

Working on both a 1960s and a 1990s Lotuses makes it obvious how things became more complex at some point in time. The body of the 49 is merely made of two separate elements: a nose and a cokpit. The body of the 107B is made of a nose, a cockpit, a front suspension cover and an engine cover. Anything different from a plain paint job gets very complicated very quickly!
I had to assemble some of the parts together in order to do the masking and make sure that there would be perfect joint lines between every body components. The decals were very useful to get the right shapes and to help to place the actual masks onto the body.
My fears are about paint running under the masks, and I do not think that I will be able to prevent them. I also think that I should remove the front suspension cover to paint it apart from the cockpit. Odds are that the paint will cement both elements together and even the sharpest blade will make a mess of that.

No comments: