I created this blog because I could not find the kind of tutorials I needed for some models and miniatures I wanted to build. I hope it will be a useful source of information for anyone who may experience the same lack of first-hand, step-by-step reports.
I am not an expert by any means, so feel free to comment my posts or to contact me to share your advice.

Tuesday 28 August 2007

First trial on the Europa

Lotus Europa This is the Europa body after a first wet coat. Preparation included sanding mold lines, priming and 3 mist coats.

I sprayed the paint at a 15 cm distance, trying to move at a constant speed in a continuous left to right to left again movement for a total of 4 passages over the model. I kept my eyes on the paint itself during the hole process so as to watch its flow on the surface. Once the right flank was done, I shifted to the top section interrupting the spray only for a brief shake of the can. After 3 passages, I rotated the mounting in order to face the left flank and did the same as above, finishing by the top again. I sprayed the left a bit more slowly than the right as I have spotted a small run of paint at the base of the front right wheel arch.

Lotus EuropaThe finishing touches were directly in front of the front and rear bumpers, with 2 passages each. I figured there must have been a non-neglictible amount of paint already in place, so I wanted to avoid any running problem.









Lotus EuropaThe body shows very little shine only but I hope that can be fixed by polishing after a second wet coat. There is a tricky section where the rear window is placed, as the spray is partially blocked by the roof line.








Lotus EuropaThe quality of the picture is poor but sufficient to show a blemished area on the door. It was there after priming and appeared when the paint started to dry. I wonder what causes it as it is directly exposed to the spray of paint. There again I hope it will only be a bad memory after polishing.

No comments: